April 17, 2013

This Is The Song That Never Ends

Have you ever had one of those days where you wake up and automatically have a really annoying or shitty song stuck in your head for no apparent reason whatsoever? Like, you literally just opened your eyes and already have a song thumping in the back of your mind?  I have those like every single day of my life. No lie. And it constantly forces me to ask myself "Why was I cursed with this ability to learn music so easily?"

Just the other day, I had a solid minute of John Denver yodeling stuck in my head... all day. Of course, I doubt anyone who reads this will be able to relate to that situation because no one actually knows who John Denver is anymore, but, trust me, it's not the most pleasant thing to have playing in your head while you're trying to conjugate Latin verbs. Just imagine if you had Jason Derulo saying "JAY-SON DE-RULO" in his stupid voice on repeat all day. That was the torture that was John Denver's yodeling.  The funny part is that I actually know the words to the rest of the song... not just the yodeling portion. Of all the segments of this song, my mind chose to cling to the most annoying one! Why, brain, why? 

Yesterday afternoon, my oldest sister, Rachel, texted me telling that she had an obnoxious song stuck in her head. She knew that I would understand her pain, and I did... Because I had The Beach Boy's "Kokomo" (and yes, it is a great song but not when it never ends... ever!) on repeat in my head at that same moment. I think it's because we have the same dad... and he kind of has a history of humming or whistling the same song for like a week. Growing up with that, we were destined to have the same fate.  I know Julia has the bug too. Ya know, the way she belts out into the Les Mis soundtrack or Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" without warning... like she'd been planning it all along or something. 

The worst is when I'm in class and I've got this obnoxious chorus or verse stuck in my head, and I can't help but tap my pen or just full-blown sing aloud the words or music. Sure, I've got a great voice when I really try, but that doesn't always happen. Sometimes it just sounds like screeching, and I don't know
how many times is appropriate to apologize for my musical nature or the fact that I can't stop singing the exact same part of a song at every moment when I don't have anything to actually say. Btw, if I am stuck on a song, I will sing all the parts, so yeah. That's fun. (Nope.)

So, if you ever talk to me or sit next to me in class or at dinner or on a Friday movie night, just know that I probably have my own personal DJ playing in my head. Sure, you can ask what's on the playlist for the day, but I'd strongly advise against that due to the fact that I have very embarrassing taste in music. 

Songs referenced in this blog post:
Calypso by John Denver
Any song ever by Jason Derulo
Bad Romance by Lady Gaga 
Kokomo by The Beach Boys 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shout out to me - what what!!

"Any song ever by Jason Derulo" - so true.

"People put me down 'cause that's the side of town I was born in" - no worries, it finally went away. But in true Wilkerson fashion, replaced itself with "me and you, and you and me, no matter how they toss the dice, it had to be"... KILL MEEEEE!!!

Anonymous said...

What stop for did you he-ey. You may not see that pla-ay...Better than Sixties pop, but still, a show tune? Do you ever get a song stuck and repeat it in your head or under your breath in a Popeye voice? Or was that just me?

Post a Comment