April 22, 2013

In An "MMMBop" They're Back!

Puberty did them good, right?
I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't rolling on the floor with excitement when the iconic 90's band, Hanson, announced and released they're new single, "Get the Girl Back." In fact, that's exactly what I did when I first heard the latest single from the band that brought the world the annoying pop hit "MMMBop" back in 1997. Of course, I am aware that they've made 4 other studio albums since they first appeared on the scene, but, apparently, the rest of the world didn't get that memo. And if you're thinking these guys still look like blonde girls, you are very very wrong.

While another certain trio of brothers also recently released a single that was of questionable quality after a hiatus, unlike them, Hanson is still making good music that is actually worthy of being heard. Because they don't need dancers wearing revealing clothing in all their videos to get attention. Just saying. 

I'm not going to brag or anything, but I totally met Hanson once. Sure, it really wasn't under the conditions and circumstances that every teenage girls concocts when she imagines meeting the band she's totally head over heels for, but I met them nevertheless.

Some bare feet ready to walk!
Okay, so for those who aren't up-to-date with all things Hanson, you should know that Hanson is a big supporter of TOMs shoes and the charity work that is done by them in Africa. To show their support, the guys started doing one-mile barefoot walks before their concerts to raise money. For every walker who signs up and finishes, a dollar is donated in their name towards education, fresh water, medical treatment, and shoes. The guys themselves participate in every walk they host. And that is where me meeting them comes in.


In August, right before my senior year of high school, Hanson did a show at Tulsa's historic Cain's Ballroom. I didn't actually get to go to the concert because it was a school night and I was lame and poor, but I did get to go do the walk with them. I took off my shoes and walked one mile in Oklahoma heat to raise money for the people in Africa... Or maybe I did it for the chance to rub elbows with some really awesome guys? The world may never know? Anyway, in the process of getting the most painful blisters known to man on top of pretty much the worst burns on my feet, I did get to have some
light-hearted conversations with Zac, Taylor, and Isaac.

Not only are these guys completely dedicated to their music, they are also genuinely nice guys. All three of them are married, have kids, and currently live in Tulsa. Thankfully, they avoided the horrid child-star flu and turned out relatively normal.

You should definitely go check out their latest single (now available on iTunes!), and maybe catch them on tour this fall!

For more information on Take The Walk, check out the official website!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post.

Post a Comment