August 13, 2013

Adventures in Cooking, Packing, and Gospel

So, the countdown to me leaving for school is inching towards 0, and I'm really starting to feel the heat in the kitchen (or maybe that's just me sitting in a house without A/C in Oklahoma in August). Between spending all my money on things I'm going to need in the near future and having to plan last moments with people before I'm gone for a while, it's a mystery to me why I haven't gone completely bonkers. Or, have I? Hmm. 

Yum! And that's definitely not beer. Nope. Shhh.
One of the things I had been aiming to do for a really long time (and I really mean a really long time ago, because I said I'd do this last winter) was cook a meal that Bruce would eat and possibly want to hug with his mouth. Now, I'm kind of a kitchen daydreamer. I always find awesome recipes on Pinterest and other blogs that I follow, but I
never actually cook any of them because I'm afraid of messing up and just being a terrible cook. So, I finally took hold of my life and cooked something (Of course, Bruce gave me all kinds of helpful pointers, so some credit must be given to him).

Sunday night, I made a very delicious lasagna soup for the two of us (oh, and Bruce made bread, but this blog isn't about his perfect bread, dammit!!). The recipe I used as a base came from Shugary Sweets. I'll admit I went a little crazy with the Italian seasoning, but it was still an orgasm for my deprived tastebuds. And I'm just going to toot my own horn for a moment because I'm pretty damn proud of myself for making something that didn't kill anyone. Yet. Hopefully me cooking things will become a regular thing I take a whack at because I'd really love to try some of the tasty things I have bookmarked in my "Recipes" folder. Also, I bet my flatmates wouldn't be too upset if I made them things every once in a blue moon.

But, you know, while I'm not being a total badass Italian in the kitchen, I have been thinking about packing my stuff because I'm moving in less than 48 hours. You see, I hadn't even started packing until about 30 minutes ago. Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm a little behind on the times. Sue me.

The thing about packing is that I mysteriously forget how to do it every single time I have to do it. Like, I just packed this shit up in May. How have I already forgotten how I managed to do that? It's only been 3 months! Suddenly it's like I don't know what to do with any of my stuff. You know, it also probably doesn't help that I buy things all the time.

I'm not too stressed about it because I always find a way to make things work. I have a gift, I suppose. I'm good at improvising when I suddenly can't remember what I'm actually supposed to be doing. Some call it bullshitting, but I'd rather be full of shit than be without all my prized possessions, ya know? So, if you're reading this and also working on packing your stuff and moving, here's my advice: wait until the last minute and end up throwing everything into random boxes and storage containers and suitcases and throw it in your trunk like you just don't give a flying fart in space. Because you don't.

In other news, sometimes I find really good music and consider sharing it with other people. This is one of those times. I've been having an affair with the super duper theatrical band Panic! At The Disco since like 2005, so it's no surprise that when they started releasing new music from their upcoming 4th studio album I immediately fell in love all over again and I got the musical tingles. Their first single "Miss Jackson" featuring Lolo was freaking weird and exciting and had a slight flair of Fall Out Boy throughout it (and that makes perfect sense because the two bands will be touring together this fall).

Today I'm talking about Sunday's release of "This Is Gospel." I was totally taken by surprise when I noticed the sudden flailing among the fangirls on Twitter and Tumblr. I can't even put into words how interesting this song is, and the video concept is crazy one-of-a-kind (as usual!). I'm not normally crazy about the electronic/ autotune sound, but Brendon Urie makes it sound good. Dude. I can't even put into words any feelings I have for this song or the band or the upcoming album, so I'm just going to leave you with it so I can get back to thinking about packing.





0 comments:

Post a Comment