June 10, 2013

"Do You Always Have This Much Shit In Your Room?"

Ever heard of that thing called "Spring Cleaning?" You probably have. I don't know your life story. Anyway, it is a little known fact about me, but I love cleaning. It's really relaxing to me, so stop hating, haters. I love cleaning so much that depending on our relationship, I'd probably clean your living quarters if you inquired inside. I could potentially start my own cleaning service if I wanted.

I remember being younger and being asked passionately by my mom to clean my room, and, at the time, it just seemed like the most horrific thing you could ask an 8 year-old to do. I'd end up sitting in the middle of a pile of Barbie doll orgies and food wrappers with, most likely, that Britney Spears/ NSYNC CD that McDonald's gave out a million years ago playing on the stereo on repeat, and I'd have to ask Mom what I was supposed to do next because I was kind of stupid. Oh, how things have changed!

Since coming home from school, I've been working on a long-term thing with my room. I'm calling it "Operation: Let's Flip That Shit" on the down low. Like, way down low.

I'm not even going to lie. I have too much stuff, and I keep almost everything. I decided that when I came home for the summer that I would do one of those overhauls that they do on Hoarders or TLC home makeover shows. Let me tell you, I never knew I had taken so many notes in 10th grade US History until I was putting them all in a big trash bag. The same goes for the horribleness that was AP Calculus.

So, there I am throwing away any sort of evidence that I actually learned anything during those high school years. And you better believe it felt good to let that go. No more bad grades I'd hidden behind notebook dividers. No more little hearts in the corners with "insert-a-super-studly-guy's-name-here" artfully doodled. No more emo lyrics I'd scribbled on the edges of handouts. No more bad memories sitting in a box in my closet. It felt damn good. 

I can't help asking myself why I kept any of that stuff after finals. I have no explanations for anything I did in high school.

Like almost every 13 year-old girl ever, I had a belief at one time in my life that I NEEDED to buy every teeny bopper magazine that had Nick Jonas or any other cute male celebrity that I thought was hot at the time on the cover at the Walgreens by my house. Unfortunately for my parent's wallets, that habit lasted until I was like 16. So, you can safely assume that it felt awesome to dump hundreds of dollars worth of J-14's and Popstar! magazine in the recycling bin. It was a decent workout too.

I also removed the very last pull-out poster from my wall. It was Nick Jonas sitting in a way-too-small-for-his-tight-frame school desk, by the way.

Kind of feels like saying goodbye to my vastly immature past existence. 

I'm still working on my room. It seems like I can't clean my own room without it turning into a tornado disaster site. It may take me the rest of the month to finish... maybe a couple of more days. I don't know.

I'm a lazy person. Shut up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment