March 11, 2013

The Perks of Being Unemployed

Just kidding, you broke-ass hooligan. 

There aren't any real perks to being unemployed. Well, that is, unless you count being able to sleep in and not put on a bra freaking ever. Also, there's that whole not having responsibilities thing that is kind of nice every once in a while. I mean, who doesn't want to spend 9 hours straight playing the Sims 3 (with all the lovely expansion packs, mind you)? I've been technically unemployed since February of 2010, and I'm a little nervous to even say that because I'm not sure if 5 months of working for my dad counts as really being employed (but for the sake of resumes and job applications, it totally does).  And every summer since then, I've said that I was going to finally get a job and be all self-sufficient or whatever. Needless to say, I never did that. Well, this summer, I'm out of excuses. 

One of my close friends recently announced that she'd scored a super-mega-foxy-awesome-hot job at Hobby Lobby (it's the Heaven of craft stores, if you're not familiar with it), and I suddenly had this moment of clarity. If this girl could get a "real" job, then so could I. So, since then, I've been doing a lot of anti-Angela things. I updated my resume, for one. Of course, with my lack of experience and usable skills (because, apparently, the ability to blog, memorize the lyrics to Hanson's Christmas album, and find streams of TV shows and movies online aren't real skills in the real world), I have a pretty bland resume. It's whatever, though.

Yeah, but I need money, so I'mma pass on the play thing.
I also started looking for jobs. That's both stressful and boring to do. Like, Target, for example, will only let you fill out an application online if you plan to start within 60 days of submitting the application. Well, for someone like me or anyone who has more than 60 days until they'll even be in the city of the job, it's frustrating. Like, what if I go to apply closer to the end of the semester, and they aren't looking for workers for the summer anymore? Now, I don't really know how a large corporation could run out of jobs, but I'm sure that in my case they would. Yes, I am paranoid about this.

I realize, though, that a lot of stupid people have jobs, so, realistically, a smart person like myself should be able to easily get a minimum wage job, right? RIGHT?

So, why am I finally putting my foot down about this rut of unemployment? Well, I need money, and that's pretty much the only reason that counts. Also, maybe something about experience and building connections and resume fillers.

Anyway, we'll see where my job search takes me. Hopefully, right into a giant pile of wonderful money! (okay, a girl can dream!) 






0 comments:

Post a Comment