January 25, 2013

Tear Factor: Radio

So, every so often (or maybe every single sacred weekend), I have an overwhelming need to make myself cry. Especially after a long week or an especially bad Friday (probably caused by my failure to remember anything on a Latin quiz), the cathartic release of crying is the one thing I really need to feel. So, rather than suck it up and go out and get wasted enough to forget my troubles, I cozy up with my favorite blanket and a bag of Sour Patch Kids (my kryptonite!) and go in search of books, movies, and TV shows that are likely to make me feel like the sappy, hormonal woman I truly am.

So, I've decided to share with the world what tearjerkers I use. You know, just incase anyone else needs a good reason to release some built up emotion and have a good cry! (And let's face it, we all could probably use just a little bit ;P)

So this weeks pick: 
Title: Radio (2003) *
Starring: Cuba Gooding Jr, Ed Harris, and Debra Winger
Rating: PG (contains some mild language)
Synopsis: Based on a true story, Radio tells  the story of a mentally disabled man nicknamed Radio (Cuba Gooding Jr.) and the bond he forms with the local high school football coach and his team.

My Take: I actually saw this in theaters when it first came out (I would have been about 10 at the time), so I was very familiar with the plot and the whole story overall, but that was so long ago, I figured I'd see what the hooplah was all about by refreshing my memory.

First of all, I'd just like to point out that if a movie is based on a true story, that probably means it's either going to scare your balls off, or it's going to make you feel all the feels. In this case, it gave me a double scoop of feels in a waffle cone.

Second, football and racial differences go together like peanut butter and banana. I've never seen a movie that contained both of those key elements that didn't make me emotional. I'm still trying to figure out why these themes go so well together. Is it seeing that brotherly bond that make your insides turn to mush? Maybe or maybe not. I just know that this film was the perfect combo with all the goodies on top.

And lastly, I am a major wimp for movies about people with diseases and the like. My life has been touched by so many amazing people. Some of those people did or do have impairments and various ailments, and seeing that depicted in movies just brings me back to so many good and bad memories. It's really fantastic to be able to bring personal experiences to the table while watching a film.

Honestly, you don't have to like football or know anything about the mentally disabled to enjoy this movie. It has a very touching story, and the cast is amazing. I felt like it was highly inappropriate for me to laugh at some of Cuba Gooding Jr.'s lines and actions because they felt so real. I had to remind myself half the time that he was acting. And I felt like his chemistry with costar Ed Harris was so genuine. At times, it was as if I was watching something happen in real time with real people rather than a movie made 10 years ago. That chemistry and realism definitely make the whole shebang more amazing and enjoyable.

My one criticism is this: Some of the more emotional scenes seemed a little overdone, if you know what I mean. I feel like those scenes were done very well, but they were pushed to their limits. There I was with tears running down my face, and it was like I just kept being punched over and over again to make me feel even more emotions. I was just like, "Yo, brah! That's enough! Can't you see I'm already making oceans with these tears?" I could have used a break. ;P

It's a definite must-see for those in need of a cry!

Tear Factor Score: 8.0/10

*This film is currently available to watch on Netflix and can be found where most DVDs are sold.*

1 comments:

Renae A. said...

Watch "The Constant Gardener" and "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" on Netflix. Get me every time!!!

Post a Comment